Getting Warmer Now

During Fayette County Public Schools Spring Break the weather did - and so a few of us meandered out to see what was emerging at the Memorial Garden. Sarah (a very good friend of Hannah's and just as good a friend of the garden) had visited earlier and was afraid some anonymous mint was spreading among the bee balm. By the time I got out there for a look see last week I laughed so hard and sent her a message: "not weeds kid - that's the bee balm spreading."

There is little doubt in my mind that this years' garden will surpass last years' which is almost, just almost, unimaginable.

But wait, back to "backpedaling." During the early stages of planning what plants we wanted to see in the garden, a group of students huddled around a teachers computer during a GSA meeting oohing and aahing over the possibilities we saw at the Shooting Star Nursery website. What a funny and random coincidence that at one of those first meetings as I asked that they consider going "all native" I learned that Jesse's good friend Natalia who was present, had recently completed a research paper on using native plants. We wanted a wide variety of colors - pinks for Josh, yellows for Jesse. The list grew longer and longer but we knew we'd be limited in by the fact that the garden area is a windy, high site in full sun and with very little in the way of protection from the elements. We also knew that by the time we went to purchase those plants in the Fall the selection would surely be limited.

At that time, while I was still in such shock over losing Jesse (of which I am still not "over") I was so very grateful to the young people of Dunbar's GSA who welcomed me to their meetings, whose members hugged me and tried to help me, who somehow knew that if I got involved it would be "for good" and that nothing would keep us from accomplishing this beautiful project inspired by Josh's life and now by Jesse's too. We jumped through a lot of hoops, filled out a lot of paper work. Perservered. Perhaps it was the fog of loss that kept me from growing too impatient as I sat at the kitchen table so many late nights surrounded by native plant books and research drafting and re-drafting what would be acceptable to present to the FCPS board as "plans". I know I was not the only one who went "WHAT?" when we were told we needed a plan detailing every plant to be installed, each piece of art, all the extras. Jesse's dad had a CAD person from Spencerian where he teaches evening classes draw up an official blueprint and we were finally called to meet with folks from FCPS to discuss them.

We were told by others who had been through this maze of installing a garden on school property that having a meeting was a good thing and that it would bring us closer to approval. There would be several members from FCPS's risk management, physical services as well as an associate principal from Dunbar. I can say in all honesty that I was very scared the project would not be approved but the students kept saying "we are going to do this." They almost convinced me.

The meeting was to take place at Dunbar in the Administrative office. Just to shore up our side, I asked for some physical support via presence at the meeting. Among a variety of students we also had an arborist, horticulturalist, several native plant guru's, some parents, and others and when we walked into the office there was a look of shock on the faces of those who thought this "small meeting" would take place quickly and without question.

We needed more space so it was decided we'd relocate to the cafeteria - appropriate considering the garden would be placed outside of its windows. After a round of questions - which in retrospect we think were mostly to assure the staffers that this garden would not only be installed but maintained for an extended time - everyone tried to smile away the nervousness.

I will in fact, never forget the look on all those faces. There was no doubt about our commitment, no question of our sincerity. I have an inkling that had our "turn out" not been so great and diverse at that meeting that we may not have been able to do this. While many of those beautiful young students who came back to school on their summer break just for that meeting are now off in the great wide world - at colleges and locations near and far, what they did with their optimism and courage is the reason that we were able to create "a celebration of life, a labor of love," the Dunbar Memorial Garden.

When I post tomorrow, I have every intention of getting us up to date. There are just a great deal of emotional moments - so many trials, so many feats. So many people to give so much thanks to.

<3>

0 comments:

Design by Blogger Templates